5 Things I Have Learned as a Writer in My First Week at Crowd Content

Not to brag, but, I’ve been around the block a couple times

I have made the rounds in online writing circles, and, at one time or another, my work has appeared on almost every content writing site out there.

I spent almost two years writing home improvement how-tos, and earned a pretty good living at it. Although they took down my bylines, a big chunk of main how-to sites were my work. Ha. So, when I say Crowd Content is refreshing, I know whereof I speak.

When I first took a look at Crowd Content, I wasn’t too sure if I really wanted to enroll as a writer. After all, rates are a little lower than I like, and the work seems a little slim, at least at the bottom of the stack, but all in all, my experience has been incredibly positive!

Here are five things I have learned, and I am sure there is so much more to come!

1. Work Goes Quick!

I have found that by the time I even see the email listing the projects that have been added at my quality level, it is probably too late. I did manage to pick one plum $20 blog post the other day, but with a limit of one, it’s pretty tough competition!

2. The Crowd Content Site Is One of the Most User Friendly Writer Interfaces I Have yet to Use

This is the first piece I have actually composed inside the writing interface, but it seems effective and simple. I like the fact that it is one big word processing window, instead of a series of dialog boxes, each with their own failure rate.

The profile, job center, and community sections are well laid out and easy to navigate. Things seem to be in a logical place, and everything is grouped well. A few sites I have worked for were built like an old house, with pages added on creating pools of duplicate and similar content that were hard to navigate when you needed information.

3. Getting Input Direct From the Client is Nice

While I have to admit that I learned more from the editors at my first full time article gig, getting direction straight from the end user is much better.

Many of the editors on other systems are highly inconsistent, and although they say they get articles at random, once one does not like you, it’s hard to win them back.

I really like being treated like a professional, after all, I do have my own clients, as I am sure most of you do as well.

4. Transparency in the Ratings System

Crowd Content has done several things right, and, in my opinion, one of them is their ratings system.

While I am sure there are intricacies that I have yet to appreciate, the idea that producing a certain number of pieces at a certain quality level will gain you a raise in rates is great!

Most other systems I have come across have a fair amount of mystery involved in who gets the “good stuff”. They always claim it is for excellence in writing, but after turning in, and getting paid for, hundreds of assignments in a row with no corrections, one has to wonder.

5. Validation and Community Are Important

I had been out of the saddle for a while. I spent about twenty years as a carpenter, and every now and then when writing work gets slow, I pick up my hammer and go back to work. So, even though I am a seasoned veteran, I was understandably nervous about turning in my first assignment. It turned out great. The client’s request was clear and concise, the research went well, and the assignment was accepted with no problems. It was nice to know that I still got it.

I haven’t spent much time in the community forums yet, but I like what I see so far. All in all, I have enjoyed my first week here, and as a side line, I think I will enjoy adding assignments from Crowd Content to my work flow.

Randal Frederick

Article by

Randal has been writing professionally for over ten years, including over 3000 online articles for hire, and over thirty blogs. He is an expert in social media marketing, home repair, and an accomplished comedy writer. His background in writing for the stage and screen make him a very creative solution provider.

Powered by Crowd Content image

Content Creation for Your Blog

Learn more
Image showing Feature Friday: Advanced Order Options
Content Marketing

Feature Friday: Advanced Order Options

Continue reading

Google trends seo content tool
SEO

3 SEO Content Tools to Help You Rank in Search

Continue reading

0 thoughts on “5 Things I Have Learned as a Writer in My First We …”

Lewis Kipling says:

Hi, Randal. I’d love for you to write a follow-up or comment on this post updating and describing how things may have changed in your understanding and experience after some time. I would be interested in your insight. Keep up the good work!

Although I am fairly new to the writing game, I love working for crownd content. I love that they have references for the writers so that we can learn how to improve our craft. Yes, the assignments do go fast but that is part of the writing game.

Rosalie Flowers says:

Thanks for the post Randal! This is my first day on a new job and I’m excited to be a part of the Crowd Content team. I have been writing online for various sites and private clients for over three years. Your post has given me a good overview of what to expect here.

Darleene Rasmussen says:

I too am new to Crowd Content. I agree that the prime jobs go fast. So far I have only had positive experiences here in spite of the competition for the best jobs. I have already worked with a client that was very communicative and positive about the work I have done for them. I look forward to developing further relationships with clients. Hope you continue to have positive experiences with Crowd Content as well.

Edith Whitley says:

Hi Randal. I am new here, too, probably about a week. I haven’t attempted any work, yet, as I’m trying to learn how Crowd Content works compared to other sites. Thanks for giving me some insight into how this site works.

Neroli Wright says:

Hi Randal and the other new writers. I’ve been at Crowd Content since late December last year and I too enjoy working on this platform. Having worked on various writing sites, I like that at Crowd Content I’ve been able to build relationships with clients instead of feeling like I’m just one tiny cog in an anonymous mill.

My best advice is to take your time with orders for new clients and show them what you can do. If a client really likes your writing style they can add you as a favorite and send you regular work through direct orders. You never know when it will happen, but it does. Best of luck!

Maxine Melton says:

It is good to know that someone who is experienced with online writing has had some of the same feeling I have been having since I am new to the game. I agree that jobs go fast, but there has been plenty of work so far. I am hoping that my quality helps with the clients as well and wish everyone who is serious good luck!

Myra Michaels says:

Maxine Melton and everyone — Being brand new and not having yet written my first article, I would love to know how you manage to find “plenty of work”. How often do you check in? How do I get to some of the jobs before they disappear? I will appreciate some helpful advice, and I thank any of you in advance.

Jackson Cuppa says:

Thanks for the thoughts on your writing experiences. I’ve also just gotten started with Crowd Content, but some of the assignments I’ve been seeing look interesting, and I’m looking forward to landing one that will be fun and exciting. Have you had much support and feedback from others? I’ve tried to chat with someone in the Job Center console, but didn’t get any response there.

Interesting article ! The assignments do go fast don’t they. I try and pounce on the really neat sounding ones right away, but the most lucrative go so fast its easier said than done.

Myra Michaels says:

Thanks for this encouraging article. I have just been accepted and haven’t found an article yet that I can write, so, even though I have been writing for content sites for years now, this is a new endeavor and has me rather nervous until I can find out if my writing coincides what these CC customers are looking for. I sure hope it will be because I am excited to be involved here and interact with you other writers.

Ysabel Castillon says:

I really enjoyed reading this. As someone who is starting out in seriously pursuing freelance writing, I have to admit I’m rather nervous, but this was really interesting to read and I’d love to see if you have had any further nuggets of wisdom and discovery as time goes by. Thanks!

Thanks for the insight, Randal. I’m a newbie here and you cleared a lot up about the CC ways and means. Best of luck to you.

Georgia Potts says:

I do like the rating system as well. I like that it doesn’t take months to get a change in your rating if it is warranted. It can take as little as a day if you are getting ratings from clients. You can see exactly what you are being rated, get feedback from clients and even communicate with them directly. I wish every content site did that!