9 Steps to a Promising Freelance Career

In today’s high tech society, more and more people are turning to a career in freelance writing. Sounds easy, right? Think again.

Use these tips to help make your freelance career is on the right track to success.

1. Make a Business Plan

The first step you should make as a freelance writer is to make a business plan. You may have all these ideas in your head of what you’d like to achieve, or what you’d like your business to be, so get them down on paper. Having an official plan is a great way to measure milestones down the road, and periodically assess where you’re at.

2. Plan Your Days

Always have the upcoming weeks planned out. Being organized helps your freelance business run smoothly and ensures that nothing slips through the cracks. Being organized and planning things out becomes important, especially with multiple clients.

3. Use Free Software

Depending what you are doing as a freelancer, all costs for your business fall to you, which can become expensive. If you’re just starting out and don’t have clients to make up for your business spending, it may seem overwhelming at first. There’s a lot of free software for all your business needs that can help you get started, and keep money in your pocket.

4. Be Professional

As a freelance writer, first impressions aren’t the only impressions that last. Being professional to clients and potential clients will create a positive image for you and your business.

5. Make a Website and Use Social Media

Social media helps connect you to potential and current clients, and keeps you in the loop. Making a blog or a website helps boost your professionalism, and gives clients a place to see your contact information. It also gives you a place to post testimonials that could lead potential clients to you.

6. Learn to Say No

Once your services become requested more, learn to say no to potential new clients if you don’t have the time to give them 100%. Taking on more than you can handle could wear you down. Taking on work you can’t handle can also cause a stir and gie you a bad reputation if not completed on time.

7. Get Allies

Everyone you meet has the potential to be a great contact, client, or advertisement. Build connections with everyone you meet, because word of mouth spreads and brings in new business.

8. Work When You’re at Work

Make a schedule and stick to it. Create work hours and make sure that all personal matters are taken care of after your work hours are over. Answering personal calls/emails, running errands, or taking frequent breaks while working could cause things to slip through the cracks.

9. Ask for Feedback

Being your own boss means that you don’t get constructive criticism from a boss or manager. Ask clients for their opinions on your services. Doing so gives you the opportunity to see what you’re doing right, and where you could improve.

Allen Paul

Article by

Allen has been writing for years. He has experience in a wide range of topics. If he doesn't know about a certain topic, he takes pride in it anyways and uses his researching skills to create a quality article. He is known for not missing deadlines and providing engaging content.

Powered by Crowd Content image

Content Creation for Your Blog

Learn more
Monitoring analytics is a solid content marketing tip.
Content Marketing

Content Marketing Tips: What We Learned

Continue reading

Image showing Feature Friday: Advanced Order Options
Content Marketing

Feature Friday: Advanced Order Options

Continue reading

0 thoughts on “9 Steps to a Promising Freelance Career”

Gabrielle Rosario says:

One of the major issues that I have had to contend with as a freelance writer is people who are contacts or friends on various sites, wanting me to do them a favor and work for free. I also have this problem with publications who want my skills at no cost to them. Another article pending.

Christine Card says:

Thanks! This is a great list for me practice working from my own home. I have to have a flexible schedule too. Quality versus quantity. My health determines the hours I can work in a day. I think I like the evening hours. Once the kids quiet down then I can focus on my work.

Christine Card says:

Thanks! This is a great list for me to practice working from my own home. I have to have a flexible schedule too. Quality versus quantity. My health determines the hours I can work in a day. I think I like the evening hours. Once the kids quiet down then I can focus on my work.

William MacLeod says:

Great article, Allen. I’m new to the freelance world, so I’ll be following these and following them well. The “organization” bit is crucial. Files, folders, sorting things by year, etc. – Searching for things takes minutes out of every hour, and those minutes add up.

Kathryn Abbott says:

Allen, these are general tips, but well-worth repeating, I feel. As a fellow freelance writer, I know all too well how easy it is to forget the basics. Well done!

Thanks, Allen, for a great article. There were many great points but for someone just getting into freelance writing some examples would be helpful. In step 3, it would be good to know where to get free software. Do you have an example of the type of free software to which you are referring? Also in step 5, if you don’t have a techie-techie buddy, how do you set up a webpage? Just some points that would make your already great advice more effective. Thanks again!

These are excellent tips for a successful freelance career. I really appreciate having them all laid out nice and concise like this. It is extremely helpful as I build my own freelance career.

Edith Whitley says:

I love #8. I have to admit that I get way too distracted during my “working hours” than I should be. I’m working on it, though.

Joanna Morgan says:

this is terrific advice. I like the “learn to say no” tip. That’s the toughest part for us! The free tip is nice too, though I have been burned by free software before. It’s great to read reviews before using any software.

Myra Michaels says:

Allen, thanks so much for the good and down-to-earth advice. I think one of the most important tips is to have definite and uninterrupted work hours so that the articles can flow easily and with concentration. It is often difficult to completely cut off any interruptions, but we can work on minimizing them as much as possible and then having the satisfaction of completing our work and bringing it to a successful conclusion.

Ysabel Castillon says:

This was a really useful post for me; as someone who really wants to pursue freelance work, I have to admit I’m a bit terrified, so any blog posts like this which give useful advice have been incredible. Thanks for posting this.

I would enjoy a more detailed article on how to market yourself as a freelance writer. Building a following on a website and attracting a clientele is probably tough.

Kaye McGregor says:

Logical list of suggestions. I especially like your comment that “being your own boss means that you don’t get constructive criticism from a boss or manager.” One of the reasons that some of us going into freelancing is to escape unconstructive criticism from micromanaging supervisors, but it’s a double-edged sword because we don’t have the benefit of someone providing us with guidance based on their experience.

Georgia Potts says:

Planning and being organized are certainly key. In the end, being a freelance writer is being a business owner. You have to run each of your days like a manager because you are one.

auntieemily says:

This is such great advice. I especially like how you say to make a schedule and actually follow it. Great for all of us who freelance.